What are some things that you will implement (or have already implemented) and/or do differently regarding your interactions with children and/or adults resulting from your understandings of Payne's framework?
The first thing that I will change after reading this text is my approach to discipline. I will make all discipline situations with my students a learning experience. And before attempting to deal with situations I will make myself aware of the student’s resources and try to figure out why they are demonstrating specific behaviors. I like Payne’s behavior analysis questions on page 102.
Sunday, December 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When I was writing my response to this question, I never even thought of the idea about discipline. I really like it though and think I will use it. I have a rather difficult class this year and taking away recess time just isn't doing the job. If I make the consequence a learning experience then hopefully that will make them think more about it before they choose that behavior the next time. if I talk to them more about the behavior and we figure out why they are exhibiting that behavior together then it will probably have a better result. This will also show them that I care and I am trying to help them through their problems even when they make a bad choice. I think that some of the kids in my class exhibit those behaviors because they are striving for attention. I need to be more aware of this and show them they can get attention in a positive way and not in a negative one.
ReplyDeleteSteph,
ReplyDeleteDiscipline is an issue for a couple of my students as well. I think Payne laid it all out and easy for educators to see what needs considered when disciplining our students. The table in Payne's text that lists behaviors of children in poverty and the suggestion on how to handle them will be something I will refer to often, to ensure my students do learn through the situations.